Friday, March 23, 2007

Visiting with friends

Yesterday I got to spend some time with a friend I hadn't actually really talked with in a year. It doesn't seem like that long has passed, but I guess it had. Odd how time just seemed to get away or get in the way of visiting. But yesterday I made the time and went to see her. It was great. I needed it probably as much as she did.LOL It did make me wonder why I kept putting off calling or dropping by. Seems like there was always something going on, but we all need to stop and take the time to spend with friends, more than just online. I'm the first to admit I make a terrible in person friend, if you are not my mom or hubby that is. Since my mom and hubby are my best friends, they are stuck with me :). But other friends, well I tend to be a homebody and somewhat of a hermit once I get here. And I take after hubby in not really wanting people at the house. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I'm not much of a housekeeper. I'll admit it, I'm lazy. IF ANYTHING can be done besides housework I do it. I'm getting better, but still.

Anyway visiting with her just made me realize that I have to be better at getting together with friends. I have friends I've made at my son's school, either parents of other students or teachers, who want to get together over the summer and if I don't make the effort I know I'll let the whole summer go by making excuses for not getting together. Once I'm out of the house I love to go, it's just the actually getting out of the house I have to make myself do.LOL Is there a word for a person like me? I love to travel and visit new places and to see friends, it's just the actually getting up and going to do it that I hate. And it's not really that I hate to do it, not really. I mean I get up and go on Saturdays with hubby, as long as it's not too early. I'm a nightowl still, always will be I guess. But I don't know. It's hard to explain. It's like once I'm here, I'm safe, the kids are safe, we have what we need, so why leave? I've said before and I'll say again, I still think living in the midst of 100acres with no neighbors would be awesome. As long as I can leave once a week for supplies and have access to the internet and all I'd be happy as a lark. Then there are times I just Have to get out.

So it's hard to explain why I let so much time go without calling friends or making a bigger effort to see them. I say "I'll do it next week" then next week I say "I'll do it in two weeks" and it just keeps going. Until I actually make a date and do it. Admittedly this time I was supposed to go last week,but I had a good reason then, I was sick big time! So that wasn't an excuse persay, as much as a true reason I couldn't go visit.

I just wonder if others are like me? Does having the internet make us all a little more of homebodies. I mean honestly you can have your groceries delivered after ordering them online. So you can get everything and anything without ever leaving your house. I have to wonder if this is good for us or bad?

I have made a personal vow to not let as much time go with following through with visiting. It was great fun. Maybe we can even set up a day when all the kids are in school to go out and eat, just us. Man that would be good and such a treat!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and takes the time to appreciate the friends in their lives.

WendyK

No comments: